Friday 29 July 2011

WHAT DO I THINK OF FILM 101 AFTER HAVING TAKEN IT ?? AWESOME! :)





I've always been one to watch films and TV shows. I've always enjoyed them and I'm known to people to be a TV addict! My parents always told me " If there was ever a subject where it involves you watching TV, you'd get an A+ in it!" So, that was basically my primary reason for taking this course in the first place, to test that theory and see whether it was true for myself, whether I'd get an A in it.

I've always watched movies without really putting much thought into it. I only saw the surface and never realized the technique used in creating such films or the hidden meanings behind the movie. Yet, going through this course, I realize the amount of things that I have been missing out and am really glad that I chose to take this course. There are honestly no regrets!

We got to watch alot of interesting films that discussed a variety of topics and used some very interesting theories, some of which were familiar to us and others which were completely new. I admit, initially, I thought it was going to be a boring course due to the fact that we would mostly be watching a lot of silent films that were in black and white, but I guess as the saying goes " patience is a virtue." Without silent films, we wouldn't have the awesome Hollywood blockbuster films that we have today. Throughout this course, I have developed a newfound appreciation for silent films and have also learn to be patient in watching them. Frankly, some of silent films that we watched were pretty good like "The General" or "Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge." But some were as boring as I expected, sorry Mr Rey.....I found "Man with a Movie Camera" to be extremely boring...that was the ONLY film which I could barely keep myself awake....

The black and white films that I actually enjoyed more were the ones with sound like "M" and " Some like it Hot!" But I must say, my ALL time favourite movie from this course is "Strangers on a Train" as I find it to be the most entertaining. I was thoroughly absorbed into the movie. Oh, and the musicals! I love the weeks when we did the musicals..."Top Hat" and " Singing in the Rain" were epic! Very nice...

I've developed my own saying about this course after having gone through it.... "Film 101 is like learning history through film"... I say this because it is true...we have covered the American civil War, The Nazis in Germany, AND the Cold War, all of which are related to history. I recommend History students to take Film because they get to learn about stuff like this by watching documentaries on it and movies. Excellent way to learn! :)

My advice for this course....I would have to say, maybe exploring a little more like  into the genre of horror or like some of us said, animations. Animations are enjoyable and it would actually be really fun to learn them although I understand you don't know much about them. Maybe doing a little more on the classics like plays adapted into films...Shakespeare perhaps...

But all in all, it was a wonderful experience going through this course and I absolutely love the freedom that we have in doing our ET's without any time limit. It gives us more time to ponder on the topic and more time to analyze the movie. I definitely will not look at another movie the same way again because I think my brain has just been re-programmed to look at movies from an analytical point of view. For instance, how  my mind was totally blown away when Mr Rey( you) started analyzing Strangers on a Train in such a sexual context. I honestly looked at the movie very differently after that. If I ever was to create a movie, at least I'd have some knowledge on how to make a good one...


P.S.  MR REY, YOU FORGOT TO BLOG SOME OF MY ET'S LIKE MY "BOY MEETS GIRL ESSAY." JUST A REMINDER....

No comments:

Post a Comment